Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Passing Out/Fainting - First Hand Account

I've been passing out at random and inconvenient times since I was about three. My loses in consciousness are usually brought on by a lack of oxygen to my brain and are almost always followed by anoxic seizures - but there have been times when I've fainted from shock, and it's always pretty much the same.

The seizures are usually preceded by a day of feeling off, but the first thing that happens consistently, regardless of why I'm passing out, is the back of my neck gets hot. Not hot like a little warm, more hot like I want to claw all my clothes off. Next I start to get dizzy, then my vision goes dark and eventually disappears. Sounds become muted at the same time as the world starts spinning, and I can usually feel myself starting to fall before I'm completely out. There's also an emotional element, that may be tied to the embarrassment I felt as a child when this would happen in public places, but either way, I'm almost always both terrified and extremely sad right before I lose consciousness.

I think that's everything. If I think of anything else, I'll add it.

No comments:

Post a Comment